Re: Unicode character for CC symbol?

On 10/09/17 08:26, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> It may be beneficial to try and come up three different glyphs to
> distinguish between those types of track elements that are universally
> understood.

They are not universally understood.  Closed Caption is a very American
term.  I don't think many people in the UK would understand it.

There is also an issue that hearing loss is very age related, which
means that most people who would benefit, may not even be benefiting
from the current systems, because it requires them to learn something
new.  For those that have learned to use them, they may find it
difficult to cope with a change of name and how the function is labelled
on controls.

Incidentally, in the UK, what we call sub-titles, are not transmitted on
a large number of television stations, and when transmitted are often so
poorly synchronised that they can be many seconds ahead of the action
(this is not consistent throughout a programme).  Current affairs
programmes have large numbers of errors, as well as a long delay, even
when pre-recorded.