Re: recommended attribute use in hierarchies?

From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 17:14:23 -0800
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> On Feb 5, 2017, at 15:18, Sean Murphy (seanmmur) <seanmmur@cisco.com> wrote:
> Q: If I'm just generating static headings and lists, what attributes should
>   I be including (and why)?
> Ans: When using elements for structure then using the standard heading, unordered and ordered lists, etc should be used. As the screen reader will by default understand these elements and permit the screen reader user to navigate between them using builtin shortcut keys. In fact, it is best practise to use standard browser elements where possible.

That's certainly the theory.  However, this example page indicates that practice may vary:

File Directory Treeview Example Using Computed Properties

> The ARIA 1.0 Spectification [sic] for these properties states the browser
> can compute these values, but is not required to.

More to the point, experimentation on assorted screen readers (eg, NVDA, Orca, VoiceOver)
left us with the impression that getting useful level information for headings and list items
is far from guaranteed.

For example, when my colleague navigated through a nested list in Orca, she was told that she
was on a "bullet", "white bullet", etc.  Not real useful...  However, I don't know whether
declared properties would have worked any better.  Clues?

> I hope this helps.

It all helps; thanks!

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation