Re: X-UA-Compatible meta tag and Assistive Technologies

On 02/02/2017 04:10, Herin Hentry wrote:
> I am working on few applications that re-renders in IE Edge in the
> Emulation mode (IE 5, 7, 8, 9) as they have the X-UA-Compatible meta tags.
>
> Has anyone noticed any issues screen readers or other assistive
> technologies face due to this?
>
>   * Visually there are CSS styling differences between Edge and the
>     older IE versions
>   * Deprecated HTML tags are adjusted by the IE version.

With the exception of text introduced using the before/after selector
[1], and focusable content that is reordered using things like FlexBox
[2], CSS does not tend to affect screen readers.

The use of deprecated HTML tags might be a different story. I think it
would depend on whether emulation mode changed the way the accessibility
tree was constructed, as well as how the content was rendered. Do you
have an example you can point to?

> Has there been any research done in this area to refer to about there
> interaction with ATs?

None that I know of, or could find based on a few minutes searching.

Léonie
[1] http://tink.uk/accessibility-support-for-css-generated-content/
[2] http://tink.uk/flexbox-the-keyboard-navigation-disconnect/

--