W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > January to March 2017

Re: Most commonly used Screen readers in China

From: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 11:13:26 +0000
Message-ID: <588F1FD6.4090308@interaccess.ie>
To: "Sean Murphy (seanmmur)" <seanmmur@cisco.com>
CC: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>, 'WAI Interest Group' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "info@atia.org" <info@atia.org>
Thanks Sean - I've gotten some good information now.

Josh

> Sean Murphy (seanmmur) <mailto:seanmmur@cisco.com>
> 29 January 2017 at 23:19
>
> I would suggest you reach out to Freedom Sceintific to see if they 
> have a language version for China. I do know they have one for Japan 
> and other like countries.
>
> Sean Murphy
>
> Accessibility Software engineer
>
> seanmmur@cisco.com
>
> Tel: +61 2 8446 7751       Cisco Systems, Inc.
>
> The Forum 201 Pacific Highway
>
> ST LEONARDS
>
> 2065
>
> Australia
>
> cisco.com
>
>  Think before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the 
> sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or 
> disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the 
> intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), 
> please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this 
> message.
>
> *From:*Joshue O Connor [mailto:josh@interaccess.ie]
> *Sent:* Saturday, 28 January 2017 11:30 PM
> *To:* Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
> *Cc:* 'WAI Interest Group' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>; info@atia.org
> *Subject:* Re: Most commonly used Screen readers in China
>
> Thanks for that Phil. I did contact the HKBU but no reply. I did see 
> their work in tweaking NVDA, which is interesting.
>
> My colleague Makoto also provided useful input so I've a better idea 
> than I had before.
>
> Appreciated.
>
> Josh
>
> InterAccess - Accessible UX
>
> -------- Original message --------
>
> From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com <mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com>>
>
> Date: 27/01/2017 21:48 (GMT+00:00)
>
> To: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie <mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>>
>
> Cc: 'WAI Interest Group' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org 
> <mailto:w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>>, info@atia.org <mailto:info@atia.org>
>
> Subject: Re: Most commonly used Screen readers in China
>
> Would this be a good question for ATIA - assistive technology industry 
> association?
>
> or maybe the National Braille Press working with the China Braille 
> Press - because a braille display works with a screen reader 
> https://www.facebook.com/NationalBraillePress/posts/188894807244
>
> I recall there was one called "sunshine"
>
> ... tried 金山词霸 but it is really for Chinese speakers to read English
>
> Hong Kong Blind Union http://www.hkbu.org.hk/en_services4_2.php NVDA 
> is an open source screen-reading software. In order to accommodate the 
> need of Chinese users, the Hong Kong Blind Union has added several new 
> features to the official NVDA which includes:
>
>   * A Chinese speech engine
>   * Reading Chinese and English with two separate speech engine
>   * Support of several common Chinese input methods
>   * Explaining Chinese character with its phrases 
>
>
> ___________
> Regards,
> Phill Jenkins
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie <mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>>
> To: "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <mailto:w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>>
> Date: 01/27/2017 04:10 AM
> Subject: Most commonly used Screen readers in China
>
> Joshue O Connor <mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>
> 28 January 2017 at 12:30
> Thanks for that Phil. I did contact the HKBU but no reply. I did see 
> their work in tweaking NVDA, which is interesting.
>
> My colleague Makoto also provided useful input so I've a better idea 
> than I had before.
>
> Appreciated.
>
> Josh
>
> InterAccess - Accessible UX
> Thanks for that Phil. I did contact the HKBU but no reply. I did see 
> their work in tweaking NVDA, which is interesting.
> My colleague Makoto also provided useful input so I've a better idea 
> than I had before.
> Appreciated.
> Josh
> InterAccess - Accessible UX
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
> Date: 27/01/2017 21:48 (GMT+00:00)
> To: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>
> Cc: 'WAI Interest Group' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, info@atia.org
> Subject: Re: Most commonly used Screen readers in China
>
> Would this be a good question for ATIA - assistive technology industry 
> association?
>
> or maybe the National Braille Press working with the China Braille 
> Press - because a braille display works with a screen reader 
> https://www.facebook.com/NationalBraillePress/posts/188894807244
>
> I recall there was one called "sunshine"
>
> ... tried 金山词霸 but it is really for Chinese speakers to read English
>
> Hong Kong Blind Union http://www.hkbu.org.hk/en_services4_2.php NVDA 
> is an open source screen-reading software. In order to accommodate the 
> need of Chinese users, the Hong Kong Blind Union has added several new 
> features to the official NVDA which includes:
>
>   * A Chinese speech engine
>   * Reading Chinese and English with two separate speech engine
>   * Support of several common Chinese input methods
>   * Explaining Chinese character with its phrases 
>
>
> ___________
> Regards,
> Phill Jenkins
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>
> To: "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> Date: 01/27/2017 04:10 AM
> Subject: Most commonly used Screen readers in China
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know the most commonly used screen readers in China?
>
> Christophe Strobbe has some really good pointers here, but has anyone 
> more up to date info? [1]
>
> Any tips/pointers appreciated.
>
> [1] _https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2008JulSep/0248.html_
> -- 
> Joshue O Connor
> Director *| InterAccess.ie *
>
>
> -------- Original message --------From: Phill Jenkins 
> <pjenkins@us.ibm.com> Date: 27/01/2017 21:48 (GMT+00:00) To: Joshue O 
> Connor <josh@interaccess.ie> Cc: 'WAI Interest Group' 
> <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, info@atia.org Subject: Re: Most commonly used 
> Screen readers in China
> Would this be a good question for ATIA
> - assistive technology industry association?
>
> or maybe the National Braille Press
> working with the China Braille Press - because a braille display works
> with a screen reader 
> https://www.facebook.com/NationalBraillePress/posts/188894807244
>
> I recall there was one called "sunshine"
>
> ... tried 金山词霸 but it is really for Chinese speakers
> to read English
>
> Hong Kong Blind Union http://www.hkbu.org.hk/en_services4_2.php NVDA 
> is an open source screen-reading software. In order to accommodate
> the need of Chinese users, the Hong Kong Blind Union has added several
> new features to the official NVDA which includes:A Chinese speech 
> engine Reading Chinese and English with two separate speech engine
> Support of several common Chinese input methods Explaining Chinese 
> character with its phrases
> ___________
> Regards,
> Phill Jenkins
>
>
>
>
>
> From:
>  Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>
> To:
>  "'WAI Interest
> Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> Date:
>  01/27/2017 04:10 AM
> Subject:
>    Most commonly
> used Screen readers in China
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know the most commonly used screen readers in China?
>
> Christophe Strobbe has some really good pointers here, but has anyone more
> up to date info? [1]
>
> Any tips/pointers appreciated.
>
> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2008JulSep/0248.html

-- 
Joshue O Connor
Director | InterAccess.ie
Received on Monday, 30 January 2017 11:14:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 30 January 2017 11:14:06 UTC