Re: Heading structure with 1.3.1 Info and Relationships and 2.4.1 Bypass Block

With all due respect, I don't agree that skipping headings is "an equal
usability issue for everyone." I believe that it is much more
time-consuming, and potentially confusing, for a person without sight to
determine what is happening with heading structures that skip heading
levels than it is for a person with sight.

I believe that heading structure for people who rely on the use of screen
reading technology means something more than people who are able to see
visual headings.  People who can see the headings, don't rely on them for
navigation in the same way people without sight do.  I think that it is
unfortunate that consensus could not be met to use best practice with
heading structure.  It is certainly a fairness issue in assessment and I
believe that it has a much bigger impact on usability than people think it
does.

Jan McSorley
VP, Accessibility
Psychometrics and Testing Services

400 Center Ridge Drive, Suite E
Austin, TX  78753
M - (512) 673-9569
Twitter: @Jan_McSorley
Skype:  jan.mcsorley
www.linkedin.com/in/janmcsorley

Learn more at pearson.com

[image: Pearson]

*We put a man on the moon in the 1960's ... surely we can make information
technology fully accessible to people with disabilities.  It can be done
... it must be done ... it will be done!*