Re: Extra Form Labels

On 28/06/2017 11:50, Mehrnaz Ahmadi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This might be a trivial question, but I have to be sure if an extra form
> label is a fail.
>
> I am auditing a page and there is an extra form label present which is
> not visible and is also empty. I think it is a fail, but I wasn't sure.

HTML allows multiple separate <label> elements to point to the same form
control via for="..." attribute. The accessible name for that form
control will generally be constructed as a combination of any labels
associated with it (though I vaguely remember this sometimes being
dependent on the specific user agent/AT).

As such, I don't believe it's a failure, but I'd make sure that it's
tested in a combination of browser/AT scenarios to ensure it's not
having an adverse effect. If it's not, then it's redundant, but not a
failure I'd say.

Patrick H. Lauke