Re: Web accessibility for people with dyslexia

FYI - Another font I like is Andika from SIL.org
http://software.sil.org/andika/

It’s designed for learners new to reading and is also optimized multiple languages (e.g. Spanish, French, Russian…). It’s under their open font license, and it does include a WOFF web font file.

It has a lot of the same design characteristics recommended by the British Dyslexia Association (https://bdatech.org/what-technology/typefaces-for-dyslexia/)

Elizabeth

> On May 5, 2017, at 2:13 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net> wrote:
>
> On 05/03/2017 06:07 AM, Sandra Evans wrote:
>> Hi Brian
>>
>> Can you provide some examples of the fonts you are referring to?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sandra
>
> When I looked at licensing fonts for dyslexia for use as webfonts it seemed that many of them either could not be licensed or were too expensive for me.
>
> I did find a font that was not created specifically for dyslexia but to me anyway appeared to have many characteristics of fonts that were created for dyslexia.
>
> It's called Cyntho Pro.
>
> https://www.youworkforthem.com/font/T4888/cyntho-pro/
>
> It is a very clean sans-serif font.
>
> I am not dyslexic but I have found it is easier for me to read when that is the font used for the main content.
>
> -=-
> Unfortunately my own personal disability involves memory issues from head injuries (epilepsy) and I don't recall the characteristics I looked for, but when I was looking for a dyslexia font and saw I either could not license the tested fonts for the web or saw that they were way too expensive to license, but I do remember there are certain letters where you need to check the characteristics of the shapes.
>
> I think p and q and b and d were two of them but I don't remember what the characteristics to check for were, and there were some other letters where characteristic of the shape matters.
>
> Also the font I linked has not been tested for the purpose and I can't afford to pay to have it tested for that purpose. So I hope it works but I can not say that it does.
>
> Also also, it seems there are several different types of dyslexia and what works for some does not work for others.
>
> A lot of dyslexic say Comic Sans MS is a free font that works well for them, but a friend of mine who is dyslexic says that font doesn't help her personally. And it also isn't as free as some seem to think. It isn't available (legally) as a system font on Linux and it can't (legally) be used as a webfont.
>
> Interestingly she likes the old Apple font Monaco even though it is monospace.

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Accessibility IT Consultant
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University