From: Léonie Watson [mailto:tink@tink.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:14 PM
To: Tobias Bengfort; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: simple language subtag

On 21/04/2017 18:42, Tobias Bengfort wrote:
> back in september 2015 I sent a message to this list asking about
> opinions on a "simple" language variant subtag. This would allow to
> provide a "version that does not require reading ability more advanced
> than the lower secondary education level" (WCAG20 3.1.5) like this:
>
>   <link href="..." hreflang="en-simple" rel="alternate" />
>
> In the meantime, this variant subtag has actually been registered[1]
> (not by me).
>
> Should the technique described above be included in the "How to Meet
> WCAG 2.0" document? Or should we wait for ATs to actually support this?
> If so, how can we push support in ATs?

Can you suggest which AT should be able to utilise this information and
in what way? As a piece of metadata that search engines could use to
return results with simplified content, I think there is a good use
case, but I'm not sure what screen reader, screen magnifier, or speech
recognition support might look like.

Léonie
--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem