From:   Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
To:     "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Date:   11/08/2016 01:10 PM
Subject:        RE: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates
kick in

Ø   Seems that some are incorrectly suggesting that the "responsive
design" should not loose content or functionality.  I don't recall us ever
demanding that mobile web sites (m dot's) have the same content and
functionality as desktop web sites, not as an accessibility requirement.
Why now?  I'm suggesting that the cause or trigger that is causing the
responsive design to be rendered be done first, then zoom that 2X, and
then check if there is loss of content or functionality.  In otherwords,
responsive change should not be be considered when evaluating if loss of
content or functionality occured - was there loss because of zoom or
because of narrower width?

I would then ask how I am supposed to access content without using a
screen resolution I can?t use?  If I use 800x600 or 1024x768 and content
is not displayed at those resolutions that I need and there is no link to
access it would am I supposed to do?  I only have two options ? zoom out
to make the content smaller thus trigger a desktop breakpoint or set my
resolution higher to trigger a desktop breakpoint.  Neither of those
options are acceptable.

I would also say that when we talk about responsive sites we aren?t
talking about mobile ? we are just talking about responsive sites.  Mobile
devices just happen to be one situation where responsive breakpoints are
triggered but they certainly aren?t the only.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Join SSB at Accessing Higher Ground This Month!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged
and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,