RE: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates kick in

> . . . That?s where in my opinion there could be a potential issue.  For
example, because I use zoom or low resolution my page is often thrown into
a responsive view where content or functionality may be hidden and not
reachable in that view. . . "

I agree there is a potential issue.  I think we need to establish if it is
a potential accessibility when the zoom if preformed by the end user, or
if it is also when the view width is narrowed, and/or both.  Zooming is a
common accessibility feature used by many individuals.  However, I'm not
sure that narrowing the browser width view is an accessibility feature or
function.  Why would a person with a disability need to make the browser
view width more narrow for an accessibility reason? I'm not thinking of
any other than when the user is wanting to force the responsive design to
render the mobile phone narrow view because it is in fact the more
accessible (more simple, more conforming, etc.) than the wider desktop
view of the responsive design.

I also think this is an example of a potential issue where when the
feature is "built in" to the browser for everyone,  everyone may not use
it in the same way.  The web site designer is thinking that the better
experience is for the end user to see the site be more responsive and
render the narrow phone breakpoint view, while the low vision user is just
trying to zoom in to see the site better.  Isn't this really a requirement
for the user agent (browser) to handle (not the web designer) because each
user is different and may want a different reaction to the zooming?  As we
say, one size does not fit all.  In other words, some users will want the
zooming to NOT trigger the responsive design to kick-in, other users WILL
want it to respond at the same zoom and width.  Users may want the
experience on some site and not on others BECAUSE it may depend on that
site's particular design vs always having the zoom feature trigger it.
___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com

From:   Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
To:     IG - WAI Interest Group List list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Date:   11/05/2016 02:17 PM
Subject:        RE: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates
kick in

Ø  There just have to be WCAG Conforming versions (of mobile and desktop)
that have all the content and functionality.

Gregg, yes, and any conforming versions must pass the conformance
requirements for alternatives to ensure the alternative page can be
accessed.  That?s where in my opinion there could be a potential issue.
For example, because I use zoom or low resolution my page is often thrown
into a responsive view where content or functionality may be hidden and
not reachable in that view.  But the only way to get back to the content
is to zoom out as there is no other link to view the other content. Thus,
I am prevented from using browser zoom on a page if I want access to all
the same content.  In most cases responsive sites have all the same
content and functionality ? but it?s not a guarantee.  So, my
recommendation would be that we provide a note to explain this.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group