From: Steinberg,Richard (HHSC) [mailto:Richard.Steinberg@hhsc.state.tx.us]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 August 2016 12:55 AM
To: Herin Hentry <hhentry@planittesting.com>; WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>; Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>; shadi@w3.org
Subject: RE: WCAG 2.0 - A progressive approach to Website Accessibility

I like your approach and enjoyed your article. In working with developers and UAT testers who know only the basics about accessibility, I have found it helpful to them to point out the parts of WCAG 2.0 that apply to the particular applications they are working on at the time. To help, I began working on a decision tree of sorts. If the application has certain elements, then pay attention to particular parts of WCAG 2.0. For example, most of our applications don't have any animations, audio, or video.

There are probably some in the accessibility community who would disagree with this, but I am trying to enforce compliance without many resources. And there is always apathy--threats of possible lawsuits and "doing the right thing" don't always seem to work with some people.

I also have situations in which developers want to install JAWS and use it as a test tool for a couple hours a week without any training, but I have to explain that it wasn't designed as a test tool per se and the learning curve is a bit steeper than that.

Richard Steinberg
Accessibility Coordinator for Electronic Information Resources
Texas Department of State Health Services
1100 W 49th St., Tower Building, Room 103.00
512-776-2913