Labels and place-holders in form inputs

From: Userite <richard@userite.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:16:57 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I have an application that uses “placeholder” text inside a forms input field to tell the user what is required. This helps the form to be displayed well on a small screen such as a mobile phone. However I still need to include the <label> element (hidden via CSS) to comply with WCAG and ensure that *all* screen reader users can always know what is required.  My problem is that some screen-readers read both the <label> and the placeholder.
Any suggestions or comments warmly welcomes
Richard
www.userite.com