Re: links as buttons and buttons as links

On 14/07/2016 09:34, Adam Cooper wrote:
> Someone jump in if I am way off track, but I’m pretty sure that any CSS
> that can be applied to one can be applied to the other … and be
> supported in contemporary browsers.

Indeed. <button> and <input type="submit"> etc can, for the most part,
be styled with the exact same freedom as links of <span>s. One tiny
difference being that developers need to first override the browser's
default "button-ness" of them, but that is not a huge problem.

The main problem is developer education (far too many bad examples out
there that misuse links) and popular frameworks that still haven't got
the message (or need to ensure backwards-compatibility - for instance,
while http://getbootstrap.com/css/#buttons tries to strongly steer
developers towards <button>, there are many sites out there that use
Bootstrap but also opted for <a> elements, and it's now not possible to
make a breaking change easily - but it's slated for the next major
version, where such changes are more acceptable
http://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/components/buttons/).

Patrick H. Lauke