RE: accessible drop-down menus

Thanks Bryan,

This example is very nice and seems keyboard and screen reader accessible to
me. It is similar (but not the same) as the Canadian Gov Web Experience
Toolkit Working Examples Menu
(https://wet-boew.github.io/v4.0-ci/demos/menu/menu-en.html)

It appears your menu follows the DHTML guidelines which suggest that only
the first (or just one) of the main navigation items should be accessible
with the tab key, with the others accessed via the arrow keys (i.e. more
follows the standard paradigm used with computer applications such as Window
Explorer). However, from my testing with keyboard users (with and without a
screen reader) I find that a significant proportion expect to be able to tab
to all the main navigation items in a web page, and become a little
disorientated when this doesn't happen. And in some cases, either they don't
think to use the arrow keys or don't know they can be used for this purpose.

With your menu, would it cause any problems if rather than switching between
tabindex=-1 and tabindex=0 for the main navigation items (depending on which
has focus), they all just use the tabindex=0 attribute so that the user can
tab directly from one main nav item to the next?

Thanks,

Roger