Re: Let's add an approved date field to Failures and Techniques

The legacy aspect in this particular situation is this...

When we wrote WCAG no evaluator failed a page under 1.3.1 for not informing
a user programmatically that they were entering a header, footer,
navigation region or Main content.

But in hind site we *should* have. It was an information and relationship
that was visual but not perceivable to blind people except by exploring
around and guessing. Soon after, Landmarks came out and solved the problem.
They took minutes to add to entire sites in most cases and allowed the
blind user to know when they entered that section or not and also allowed
them to easily jump to that region 2.4.1

The issue was brought up by Paul Adam who felt there should be a failure.
After originally arguing against the failure, I thought it through and felt
there was a basis for a proposal.
technologies relied upon on most sites include HTML 5.
Hence, the proposal for a failure of 1.3.1 filed as issue 1.3.1
 Legacy sites could do this with text or headings... however, there is the
problem that none of use failed these sites back in 2008 so why would we
fail them now.

And that is what torpedoed the failure... some argued it was too hard to
do... some argued that old sites would suddenly fail...

My thought is:
- In hindsight we should have failed pages for not informing users that
they were entering a section of the page that visually set apart. It is an
information and relationships issue
- There are hardly any old sites around from 2008
- This is easy to fix now
- It has a high impact on end users.

Hence I wrote https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/173

Cheers,