Re: Straw man list for WCAG.NEXT, another proposal...

After considering the comments on the various WCAG Next Possible Models threads, and coming from the position of someone setting government web standards, I’m most in favour of Option 2.2, integrating into new WCAG 2.x standards, and on a date-driven schedule, the Success Criteria that are ready at those points in time from across all task forces. Below are my comments on why, although many or most of them repeat and support what others have already said.

Adding separate extensions, either by task force (option 1.1) or by technology/platform (option 1.2), makes, from a government/policy perspective, establishing conformance criteria more complicated, since it would involve pointing to multiple documents instead of just one. And depending on how and when these extensions are published, the updates to conformance schedules that any WCAG.next work will entail, will only be further complicated by having to point to more and separate extensions.

Options 1.1 and 1.2 also group, but at the same time divide, Success Criteria into different disability and technology camps, something that I think is contrary to the more integrated, holistic and agnostic approach initiated with WCAG 2.0.

Integrating extension requirements into new WCAG 2.x standards by task force (option 2.1) would similarly group or isolate Success Criteria into separate disability and/or technology-specific collections, and for that reason should be avoided.

On that note, I’d like briefly to suggest that the Mobile Accessibility Task Force consider renaming itself and/or moving away from an explicit focus on “mobile”. The Task Force’s proposed Success Criteria are almost all about different input devices and interfaces (i.e., touch, gesture, speech) that are not specific to mobile devices, and so the reference to and focus on “mobile” is misleading and inconsistent with WCAG’s general approach to describing and addressing accessible outcomes and interaction.

Back to WCAG.next, I think David’s “model 5” proposal (option 3.1) to integrate all Success Criteria from across all task forces only once they are all ready is ideal, but not practical given the complexity and amount of effort involved in delivering a complete and comprehensive set of accessibility requirements, as WCAG efforts to date have shown. Waiting for consensus on readiness across all task force work will take too long, I fear.

It is better, I think, to establish some dates when whatever Success Criteria are ready at that point from across all task forces can be integrated into a new version of WCAG 2.x. While this won’t prevent government/policy from having to update its formal conformance requirements, at least those updates will only need to point to the next and latest version of a single document.

In my experience, governments and government websites are always playing catch-up in terms of meeting any web standards, and that’s not likely to change given the nature of the web and the various resource constraints and processes involved in how governments deliver online information and services. In that regard, having a new version of WCAG 2.x even every year or so is not such a great burden, as government agencies and their websites will simply continue to readjust their target conformance as they always have, ideally aligning that ongoing work with their particular development and redevelopment cycles.

Regards,

Jason Kiss