Re: WCAG Next Possible Models

On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 19:05:13 +0200, Paul J. Adam <paul.adam@deque.com>
wrote:

> From the options available I like the Integrate extension requirements
> as WCAG 2.x updates approach with WCAG 2.x by date, across Task Forces.
>
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_Next_Possible_Models
>
> Integrate extension requirements as WCAG 2.x updates
>
> WCAG 2.x by date, across Task Forces
> <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_Next_Possible_Models/Model_3> -
> combines Success Criteria from across task forces and integrates into
> date-driven 2.1, 2.2, etc.

Yes, this is far and away my preferred model. It helps the groups working
on extensions to focus on incrementally improving and on relevance, since
it is clear to them that they will need to work with not only the existing
guidelines (as they are at any given time), but also with other groups
focusing on a different set of needs, to make sure they describe their
requirements in a way that works for everyone.

Cons of the approaches based on having WCAG 2.0 plus various extensions as
a long-term model is that there are then very many possible combinations
someone might require - a whole lot of time and effort will be sucked up
on the questions of which combination should happen, and a whole lot more
time wasted by industry trying to deal with the various requirements on
subsets of the whole collection, which is what any reasonably substantial
organisation will have to be able to do anyway.

The con of doing things on a task-force by task-force basis is of course
that it sends a message that until we have every problem resolved for a
given area, we apparently don't care about it. In other words, it lets the
perfect, which is probably unachievable, be the enemy not only of good,
but even of "better than it is now".

cheers

Chaals