Re: HTML email and Accessibility

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 23:31:10 +0200, Paul Tykodi <ptykodi@tykodi.com> wrote:

> I am currently looking for good reference material, which speaks to
> meeting conformance requirements for accessibility when composing HTML
> formatted e-mail.

Hi Paul,

as a first approximation, HTML email should meet WCAG just like other
HTML. There are a few issues you should be aware of:

1. Many webmail clients strip part of the HTML out of email - primarily to
preserve user privacy and security.

2. HTML rendering capabilities in dedicated email clients can still be
different from those of a browser.

There is a Community Group that was set up to work on HTML email in
general, but it has been pretty quiet for some time. Feel free to liven it
up and ask questions - it would be good for them to consider the issues of
accessibility.

cheers