RE: ARIA and mainstream UI (was RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect)

> Random interesting example from a while ago: IE10/IE11/Edge on touchscreen devices take aria-haspopup as a hint to simulate hover behavior (and not firing subsequent events like click, thus allowing for hover-based menus to work on mobile/tablet, for instance)

Historically haspopup has been applied to things that it should not.  With changes to ARIA 1.1 this use might be more appropriate.  Although it does raise some questions about developers going willie nillie adding aria-haspopup to everything.

On another topic related note people also use ARIA selectors in CSS to make visual changes.  For example, input[aria-required='true'] { border: thin solid red;}

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer