Re: ARIA and mainstream UI (was RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect)

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:34:11 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 18/09/2015 17:01, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> The issue is that user agents have a lot of issues to contend with wrt.
> their UI. They may introduce new interaction models or different layout
> paradigm shifts. If we start specifying user agent behavior it handcuffs
> them.
>
> However, should a host language or browser decide to leverage ARIA
> (which I think would be wise in some cases) to provide a better user
> experience then that is where the UI should be decided.
>
> This is why ARIA neither requires or forbids user agents from enhancing
> native presentation and interaction behaviors.

Random interesting example from a while ago: IE10/IE11/Edge on
touchscreen devices take aria-haspopup as a hint to simulate hover
behavior (and not firing subsequent events like click, thus allowing for
hover-based menus to work on mobile/tablet, for instance)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/jj152135(v=vs.85).aspx

Patrick H. Lauke