Re: plain/simple/easy language variant subtag

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gregg@raisingthefloor.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:03:58 -0400
Cc: IG - WAI Interest Group List list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > -  And as soon as you start doing this - you canít just do it once.
> > You need to have many different versions if you are to be able to
> > have it be understandable by people with different problems
> > understanding it ó without losing more information than that
> > particular person needs to have removed in order for them to understand it.
> > - one-size-fits-one.     Not one-size-fits-all.    also not  two-
> > sizes-fit-all.
>
> OK, so how many levels then?  CEFR has six levels: A1, A2 <http://www.examenglish.com/A2/index.php>, B1 <http://www.examenglish.com/B1/index.php>, B2 <http://www.examenglish.com/B2/index.php>, C1, C2, do we need more than 6?

As many as we can.  How many sizes of suit-coats do we need?    If we can only do 6 that is better than 3 or 4 or 5.    But there are more variations in how someone understands than there are measurements in a  (rack bought) suit.

I donít think we can every address this well until we have a means to do this in a personalized way.   We donít know how to do this today.   And it isnít practical today (evidently - looking at web content) to do even two sizes much less 3 or 6 for web content.    and that will always not be a good fit - except for a small percentage.  Like a suit - if you make it big enough - everyone can fit in it - but it wonít really be functional to them.   For cognitive access- if you make it very simple explanation/description - everyone can understand - but you will have left out a lot of information that would be usable and understandable by many.         I think we need personalized materials (at least with lots of sizes and ideally roughly fit to the individual).

(For those who donít know CEFR -  see    http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php <http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php>.    It is actually more to do with a persons ability to  communicate to others rather than with levels of materials - but the idea is somewhat similar so interesting to look at)