Re: plain/simple/easy language variant subtag

Phill and Chaals, with regard to this sentiment: "I agree that  'complex
ideas' are not the problem.  Nor that its a big problem to explain them in
simple language."

I admit that I find that a rather bizarre thing to say.

Maybe it depends on what you mean by "explain." If you simply want to state
something complex in an easy way, there is almost always a way to convey
some parts of a complex idea in a way that it easier to understand, but
that's not the end of the story.

Let's start with the target audience of a three-year-old child, and let's
look a list of complex ideas:

   - Change management theory in large organizations
   - Quantum mechanics
   - Trigonometry
   - The scientific, political, sociological, and ethical considerations of
   planning a multinational team of astronauts/cosmonauts/etc to Mars to build
   a permanent human colony

Can you say something about all of these things in easy terms? Yes. Can you
truly convey the detailed nuances of these topics to a three-year-old? No.
Meaning will be lost. You will simply fail to convey much of the meaning.

Part of the reason that you will fail is because the ideas are complex.

Another reason you will fail is because there is a body of knowledge that a
person must have as background knowledge in order to understand the
concepts. The concepts may in fact be simple to someone who has the
necessary background knowledge, but may be completely incomprehensible to
someone without the necessary background knowledge.

It reminds me of what Carl Sagan once said: "If you want to make an apple
pie from scratch... you must first invent the universe." And he's right, of
course, in the most literal sense.

When explaining any of the things in my list above, for some people, you
could start with the concept. For other people, you have to start by giving
them life experience. Good luck with that.

Paul Bohman, PhD
Director of Training, Deque Systems, Inc
703-225-0380, ext.121
https://DequeUniversity.com