Re: plain/simple/easy language variant subtag

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:08:03 -0500
To: "Chaals McCathie Nevile" <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
How is "language level proficiency" determined?
I see how CERM is described (See Note 1), but how is it measured?.

". . . One variant on your proposal is that I would suggest you make the
semantics to specify a "maximum required level" where possible - e.g.
someone with a "B1" proficiency in German could expect to read something
in "de-cefrb1" without a lot of difficulty...
This is not as simple as trying to have "en-plain". But it is probably
easier than trying to agree on what that would mean,

How would EN-B1 different than EN-plain?

If (and that is a big if) language levels can be objectively determined,
then the "maximum required level" could be used to tag the page, content
or parts of content.

Note 1:
http://www.deutsch-als-fremdsprache.org/en/faq/323-what-does-language-level-a1-a2-b1-b2-c1-and-c2-mean.html

CERF: The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF or
CEFR) was put together by the Council of Europe as a way of standardising
the levels of language exams in different regions. It is very widely used
internationally and all important exams are mapped to the CEFR. There are
six levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2. These are described in the table
below. . .
See http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,