RE: the official definition [of web accessibility] from the W3C is wrong

From: Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 12:25:25 +0100
To: "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

> "We need to change the way we talk about accessibility. Most people are
> taught that “web accessibility means that people with disabilities can use the
> Web”— the official definition from the W3C. This is wrong. Web accessibility
> means that people can use the web."

For anyone able to read German, here is my critique on that ALA article:
http://www.chemnitzer-14.de/die-zu-kurze-messlatte/

The basic critique:

1. Naming AT, but not describing how people with disabilities use AT,
2. Limiting accessibility testing to AT support.
3. Accessibility support always takes several years before all users  benefit.

Jan

--
Jan Eric Hellbusch
Tel.: +49 (231) 33005825 oder +49 (163) 3369925