Re: the official definition [of web accessibility] from the W3C is wrong

Sure.  Absolutely.

I've been thinking that way and promoting that vision since the 'perfect
storm' of mobile and situational impairments began with the advent of the
iPhone 3.

However, the definition has. to. include. disability,
        has to be 'rooted' in fundamental enablement,
        disability has to be 'core'
        often (always?) has to be 'start' with disability
        one can't test in disability support
        etc.

People with disabilities, often (ever?) don't have the choice to move to
where the glare prevents one from seeing the screen,
        doesn't have the choice to pull over and text instead of driving,
        doesn't have the choice to buy new earbuds when one can't hear the
video,
        etc. etc.

I have too many stories and history of where something that was initially
accessible got "broken" when it went 'main-stream' (a.k.a. for everyone).

For example, early 1990's versions of voice command and control were
fundamentally developed and accepted by users who had no limbs or fine
motor control to be able to even use a mouse.  It enabled them to not have
to use a mouth stick, even with slightly better than 50% recognition
rates.  Then it went main stream with voice dictation, IBM ViaVoice, etc.
and the only way to install and get started with it REQUIRED a mouse. ugh.
 Yes it got fixed, but could you imagine not being able to use your smart
phone or laptop for months?

Another example; early versions of BIOS settings couldn't be re-enabled
(without a mouse) if/when you disabled the Mouse setting . . yeah you
could re-boot, but what a pain.

So the definition of accessibility has. to. be. inclusive of. disability.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Accessibility