Re: PDF accessibility guidelines. WAS: Re: PDF's and Signatures

Dear WAI-IG Folks,
I really did not want to give the impression that PDF is inaccessible
junk.  PDF can work with accessibility support in some contexts.

My comment was directed at the original question from Rachel. She is from a
university setting looking at media for instructional materials in the
United States.  That is a very different  issue from general accessibility
of PDF.

Academic instructional material is governed by stricter law than section
508. It is covered by Section 504 of the  1973 Rehabilitation Act.  Under
that law it doesn't matter if WCAG 2.0 is formally met.  If your student
cannot use the medium, then you have to pay for a reasonable
accommodation.  This can cost anywhere from one day of work by a salaried
employee to $40,000 for an advanced math book.

In general, PDF requires more intervention to create an accommodation than
other file formats, and that is usually a lot more intervention.  So, in
Rachel's case, PDF is generally a bad bet.  It is hard to teach faculty how
to make accessibly marked up PDF.  Accessibility support is spotty.  This
translates into higher accommodation costs for the disabled student
services center.
I don't know about other contexts, but I do know academic needs.  I think
John Folliot understands these issues.  I actually wasn't commenting on the
accessibility of PDF, just whether it was worth while using it as a
dominant medium in an instructional support web environment.

If I sounded strident I didn't mean to be iconoclastic.  I just thought
that an academic coordinator for accessibility could use a warning
conderning the effectiveness of PDF for instructional materials at a
university
 Sincerely, Wayne Dick