Access to security indicators

From: <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 15:01:05 +0300
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

There are discussions in a lot of places about changing the little padlock icons and so on that provide some feedback about whether a page is secure.

I am wondering how much of the world doesn't have access to that anyway, making it more or less irrelelvant.

Examples of problems I can imagine:
- padlocks that only vary in colour,
- icons that are not announced to screenreaders,
- extensions with notification mechanisms that are not visible when people are using magnification
- malware warnings that are incomprehensible
- malware warnings that do not allow users to proceed when they clearly identify a false positive (this does happen from time to time)

But there is a difference between problems that could arise and problems that do. I'd love to find someone has collected a bunch of this - failing which, would people be prepared to contribute examples to a wiki page, that we could then use to help implementors see where they stand, what they need to fix, and where the standards are lacking in support?

cheers

Chaals