RE: Auto-Tabbing - Is this ever allowed?

We should be campaigning browser vendors to introduce better keyboard
navigation support

I agree.

Making assumptions about the way someone wants to navigate content is
generally not a good thing.

I agree.

So, where should the default keyboard be placed then?  at the top of the
page?  Isn't that also making an assumption that forces everyone to start
at the top?
I agree that starting at the top to "read the information" is valid.
Sighted users can scan the page, screen reader users can scan the page,
and magnifier users can scan the page - all without moving the keyboard
focus.  But when someone wants to simple einter a search term, or simple
enter the userID (or perhaps better yet the password because the user-ID
is already entered saved if that is your preference), is seems more
effeieicnt to have the keyboard focus placed where it will be most often
used.  It would be really cool to have keyboard focus be user
configurable, but I do not know of technology to do that.

It seems abitrary to me for keyboard focus default placement to be placed
at the top of the page and not on the "best" interactive spot on the page
- but as far as I know, today the developer has to pick one as the
default.  Same with dialogs that have 3 choices (Yes, Cancel, etc.) - one
of them is picked to be the default choice.  maybe I'm old school where
widgets developed for Windows all and predicable behavior.  Similar to
what many call today the "pattern libray" for an app, widget ;library, or
suite of web apps - but fundamentally that has to be a starting point, and
I choose to place the keyboard focus on the most efficient place to
complete the task of the page (which would rarely be the top of the page I
would think)..

I thought there was some initial consensus with using the Google home page
and the Log-in page example that the keyboard focus placement in the entry
field was best practice. Are you suggesting the keyboard focus be placed
somewhere else?  Where?

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Accessibility