AW: Screen readers do not obey language changes in HTML

Hi Christophe, hi Steve,

Thanks a lot. I needed the info for a blog I am writing about Screen readers and their language “politics”.
Ciao     Mario

Von: Christophe Strobbe [mailto:strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. April 2015 17:45
An: Steve Faulkner; Batusic, Mario
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Betreff: Re: Screen readers do not obey language changes in HTML

On 29/04/2015 17:11, Steve Faulkner wrote:

On 29 April 2015 at 15:47, Batusic, Mario <mario.batusic@fabasoft.com<mailto:mario.batusic@fabasoft.com>> wrote:
Thanks a lot. That about APIs confirms what I feared. The way you point, Christophe, is probably so complicated that the JAWS and NVDA developers push the task back so long – because the bug is posted by both for long now.

In Firefox the language is exposed via an Iaccessible2 text attribute

Should have checked the documents I created 5 years ago ...
The IAccessible2 language attributes are defined at <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/accessibility/iaccessible2/textattributes#Attributes><http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/accessibility/iaccessible2/textattributes#Attributes>;
UI Automation Text Attributes also has language-related attributes, i.e. "Culture" (by default the application UI's locale) and "TextFlowDirections": <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872119%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#language_attributes><https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872119%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#language_attributes>. However, I couldn't find the value range for "Culture".

Best regards,

Christophe

--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>

--

Christophe Strobbe

Akademischer Mitarbeiter

Responsive Media Experience Research Group (REMEX)

Hochschule der Medien

Nobelstraße 10

70569 Stuttgart

Tel. +49 711 8923 2749

“It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom

instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops.”

Jacob Appelbaum,

<http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/><http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>