RE: deeply nested headings

I have been wondering about a related phenomenon I'm seeing in content
management systems where an article, blog post or whatever may or may not
be presented inside a larger page which already has heading mark-up. In
the first instance, I may bring up a blog post in its own window, and the
headings assigned by the author (assuming they've done them right) will
properly convey the structure to me as H1, H2, H2, H3, etc
But in the second instance, that blog post is presented inside a larger
portal, and I may suddenly find my H1 is now nested inside an H3.

I'm wondering if this may be solved with HTML5 sections, where each
section becomes a subsection of the controlling document. I would think a
relative heading structure of the same kind might be useful when one ran
out of heading levels in a contiguous document. Whether you decided to
start again at level 6 (e.g., 6.1, 6.2, 6.3) or made your sections at a
higher level, is this a potential solution? And if so, what considerations
are there for how users and assistive technologies which identify and
orient themselves with such relative heading levels?

Michael Gower
Senior Consultant
IBM Accessibility

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034