Re: Coding table notes

Unfortunately HTML is not well prepared to handle document sub-structures known as tables, despite the fact that the respective tag is named <table>. HTML insists tables must be a rectangular arrangement of accordingly interrelated data, use of tables for layout purposes is frowned upon. In the 'real world' tables are used in a much richer way, and auxiliary information - like explanatory notes - can easily be accommodated inside the structure, and the whole is still easily perceived as a table. While HTML can associate a caption (carrying its title, not sure why it's called caption...) with a table it has no mechanism to associate "other stuff" with it. In real documents tables often consist of an arrangement of a title (HTML caption), a caption (not to be mixed up with HTML caption), notes … - not too different from a richer illustration accompanied by other stuff.

Illustrations are much better off though - they can be used inside a <figure> tag:
> The figure element represents a unit of content, optionally with a caption, that is self-contained, that is typically referenced as a single unit from the main flow of the document, and that can be moved away from the main flow of the document without affecting the document’s meaning.

Maybe it would be an option to have the table inside a <figure> tag (the word image or illustration is not used in the definition of a <figure>)? So something like

<figure>
	<figcaption>Table 12 : xyz
		<tfoot>
<figure>

Once caption can mean title, why can't figure mean table? ;-)

Olaf

PS: A quick search reveals that  the above is already suggested here:  http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/common-idioms.html#footnotes (see example towards end of the page)