RE: Opinions on accessible time formatting

From: Léonie Watson <LWatson@PacielloGroup.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 12:29:00 -0000
To: "'Druckman,Geri'" <GDruckman@mdanderson.org>, "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "'Andy Keyworth'" <akeyworth@tbase.com>
Geri Druckman wrote:

“So given the fact that I was really curious, but only tested it briefly, and only with VoiceOver on my Mac (I was too lazy to pull the HTML up on my Windows station where I have also JAWS and NVDA)…

this is some text and it is 10:00 am in the morning  -  VoiceOver read am as a word, pronouncing it ăm

this is some text and it is 11:00 a.m. in the morning  -  VoiceOver read a.m. as a m separating the a and m sounds

this is some text and it is 9:00 AM in the morning  -  VoiceOver read AM as A M separating the A and M sounds

this is some text and it is 8:00 A.M. in the morning  -  VoiceOver read A.M. as A M separating the A and M sounds”

When you use a screen reader on a regular basis, you become accustomed to these peculiarities. Every screen reader has them, and generally speaking they’re not a problem – in fact they’re really only noticeable when you switch screen readers, something very few people do in the wild.

The best advice I could give on time/date formatting, is to use whichever format is most appropriate to the target audience in general. Any screen reader users within that audience will be aware of any strangeness their AT might show in handling that format, and there’s a good chance that using a format familiar to the audience will also mean that people with cognitive disabilities are likely to understand it too. Writing 5am on 8th November” might be ok for a general UK audience, but a US military audience might prefer “05:00 on November 8”.

Léonie.

--

Senior Accessibility Engineer, TPG

@LeonieWatson @PacielloGroup