measuring contrast ratio and Windows Clear Type

From: Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:44:46 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

I was giving a seminar the other day on Web accessibility testing and was
asked by one of the participants how I measure contrast when clear type is
activated. I was caught by surprise, because I had switched it off when
setting my Windows 7 laptop up a couple of years ago and I never gave it a
second thought. Since then I have been measuring contrast ratios with clear
type switched off.

I have been trying to find more detailed information on the precise
differences in measuring contrast ratios with and without clear type on
Windows, but I obviously have the wrong search terms. Perhaps someone on
this list can point me out in the right direction?

* Using CCA there is the possibility of grabing several pixels at a time.
Does that solve the problem of measuring a correct contrast ratio?
* Or do I have to switch clear type off or  (in Firefox) set
gfx.content.azure.enabled to false?

I would greatly appreciate a hint or a resource.

Thanks,
Jan

--
Jan Eric Hellbusch
Tel.: +49 (231) 33005825 oder +49 (163) 3369925