Sent: 28 March 2014 21:25
To: Ian Sharpe
Cc: 'WAI Interest Group'; Shadi Abou-Zahra
Subject: Re: Dialog behaviour and screen readers

Could you also share the desired, or perhaps more importantly, the current
behavior with desk-top Windows modal dialogs?

Understanding how JAWS or NVDA (versions please) behaves with Windows (and
version please) desktop implementations can give us better insight into what
is the browser's responsibility, verses the web page (UI Toolkit)
responsibility, verses the screen reader's responsibility, verses the end
user's settings (or configuration).

I thought I heard at CSUN 2014 from Shadi that there was an effort to
publish techniques with an ability to document behavior findings by
platform, browser, and AT.  Seems to me that a modal dialog would be a good
candidate for the effort, but I can't seem to find the effort on the
highlights archive:
         <http://www.w3.org/WAI/highlights/archive>
http://www.w3.org/WAI/highlights/archive

and any difference with DoJo's modal implementation? see
<http://livedocs.dojotoolkit.org/dijit/Dialog>
http://livedocs.dojotoolkit.org/dijit/Dialog
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
 <http://www.ibm.com/able> http://www.ibm.com/able
 <http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility>
http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility
 <http://twitter.com/IBMAccess> http://twitter.com/IBMAccess