Re: Seeking feedback on IAAP certification roadmap

Sharron,
two great questions that I'll weigh in on.

1: "What is the problem we are addressing with certification and how is it
solved?"
Here is a use case that explains one problem:  NIST in the USA is tasked
with certifying voting machines and the whole system (management,
preparation, voting day operations, etc.) for accessibility compliance to
guidelines and standards.  When a certifying company (agency or
consultant) takes on the certifying tasks, some guidelines or criteria
were asked for on how to know who could be qualified and hired to do the
work.  There were nor recognized or published criteria to be found.  So,
the team started writing up some basic criteria they thought about, such
as a Master degree, a few years of experience, etc.  But they soon had
additional questions to answer: which master's degree?  how many years?
and experience in what?   The IAAP professional certification program
would help NIST examine and determine if an IAAP certified processional
would be sufficient and/or necessary to meet their needs.  It would also
help NIST better understand their own extended criteria & needs (which is
frankly part of the problem we are solving for our accessibility community
too).

2: "It is unlikely that employers or others will choose certification over
years of proven experience" [OK, not a question, but not a given either in
my opinion]
I believe another problem IAAP Certification is solving is how to
consistently and with some confidence be able to answer the questions:
"what does years of proven experience" mean or equate to and give the
employer?  e.g. how many years of experience is appropriate to be used to
certify an individual as professional?  What kinds of experience? e.g. I
ran a usability study with participants with disabilities vs I
participated in a usability study; what kind of knowledge? e.g. I know
where to find and use WCAG techniques, vs I was on the working group that
wrote WCAG; I know which assistive technologies would be appropriate for a
accessibility assessment, vs a knowledge of the difference between AT's
from both an end user's perspective and a testing perspective;  etc. I
suppose I',m starting to write the questions for the certification test,
sorry.   In other words, a certification MUST explain what it represents
and perhaps how it is equivalent to years of accessibility experience,
proving the ability to do an accessibility assessment of  web sites, etc.
so that the employer or decision maker (e.g. NIST) can decide if that
persons has the necessary qualifications and skills. I believe if we can
write up the necessary list of skills a certification test can be written
to benefit the community and our stake holders.

 I'm not representing IBM, the Access Board, nor IAAP on my response, but
simply contributing to the groups' thinking and possibly helping Paul get
more information documented.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Accessibility Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able
http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility
http://twitter.com/IBMAccess
http://www.linkedin.com/in/philljenkins