RE: interpreting success criterion 1.3.1

[Alastair wrote]

Ø  Does anyone know of a taxonomy of ‘relationships’? Or is the definition
of relationships as ‘meaningful associations between pieces of content’
open-ended?

This has always been an open ended item – the sufficient techniques provide
glimpses of what the WCAG working group considered – but they are just
sufficient techniques.  For example, it’s always been a mystery if groups
of links are required to be grouped in a nav, ul, map, or other element.
 Similarly, 1.3.1 would ideally address emphasis and other inline markup –
although it’s not clear on if this is actually required to meet the
criteria.

Ø  It also goes hand in hand with 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value) which is the
equivalent thing for more functional sites, and the taxonomy I would use
for that is the HTML + WAI-ARIA spec.

A number of people have indicated that 4.1.2 applies to non-native HTML
control information citing the note “Note: This success criterion is
primarily for Web authors who develop or script their own user interface
components. For example, standard HTML controls already meet this success
criterion when used according to specification.” in the understanding
documents while 1.3.1 applies more to controls that can be identified by
the native HTML semantics.

Jonathan