RE: WCAG-PDF technique for coding accessible complex tables?

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 07:05:34 -0700
To: Rabab Gomaa <Rabab.Gomaa@inspection.gc.ca>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Rabab,
Techniques are not required to meet success criteria, so the absence of a technique for complex tables in PDF only means that there isn't a technique yet.  You can make complex tables in PDF which meet WCAG success criteria using the same combination of scope and headers/id attributes that you would use for the same table in HTML.  I'll have to check that we have this on the list of needed techniques, but I should also mention that a great way to get a technique approved is to write the technique and submit it to the working group.  There is a form for this at http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/TECHS-SUBMIT/.
Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Accessibility