Fw: Report: The ICT Opportunity for a Disability-Inclusive Development Framework

In case it's of interest.

----- Original Message -----
From: Accessibility Programme, ITU
To: Accessibility Programme, ITU
Cc: Diaz Batanero, Jose Maria ; Kharbichi , Amal ; Powers Rachel
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:33 AM
Subject: Report: The ICT Opportunity for a Disability-Inclusive Development Framework

Dear Global Consultation on ICTs, Disability and Development Contributor,

On behalf of the partners of the consultation (the Broadband Commission for Digital Development, G3ICT, IDA, ITU, Microsoft, the Telecentre.org Foundation and UNESCO) we are pleased to announce the release of the final report based on the expert contributions received during the May - July 2013 global consultation on ICTs, Disability and Development, organized as an input to the High Level Meeting on Disability and  Development (HLMDD).

The report, "The ICT Opportunity for a Disability-Inclusive Development Framework," synthesizes the contributions of over 150 relevant organizations and experts on the field and outlines the current ICT opportunity for inclusion of persons with disabilities, the identified barriers for ICT-enabled inclusion, and most importantly, recommendations on the way forward for relevant stakeholder groups to achieve disability-inclusive development through the utilization of ICTs.

We would like to extend our sincerest thanks to each of you for contributing to this undertaking. We would also want to thank those of you who reviewed the report to ensure the veracity, quality, and relevancy of this important work. We have made available the report, executive summary and accessible report versions at the following URL: http://www.itu.int/accessibility. We invite you all to share the report with your multi-stakeholder networks to further promote the role of ICTs in enabling disability-inclusive development.

As a final note, we would like to inform all of you that the agreed outcome document of the HLMDD, which took place on 23 September 2013, committed to work towards ensuring accessibility of ICTs and facilitating access to assistive technologies. Our collective work contributed to this achievement. For your reference you can access the whole outcome document at the following link: http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=1590

Let's continue working together towards the realization of this vision.

Sincerest regards,

The Consultation Partners

via

Rachel Powers

Junior Policy Analyst on ICTs, Disability and Development

Corporate Strategy Division (SG / SPM / CSD)

International Telecommunication Union

Email : rachel.powers@itu.int

Skype : powers_itu

Tel: +41 227 306 306