RE: alt tags for graphs

[Frank wrote] FYG about @longdesc:

I posted to the WCAG HTML Accessibility Taskforce list my thoughts on this
– I’ll briefly restate them here.

With the current proposal and previous requirements user agents were not
and still are not required to expose longdesc to users or required to make
it keyboard accessible.  It’s indicated that “user agents” should make them
keyboard accessible.  This perpetuates the idea that alternatives are only
needed for users who cannot see images or have images turned off.  This
denies people with low vision who are not using AT but like to see images
and people with cognitive disabilities access to the longer description.
This practice is one-size-fits one and isn’t universal design.  Users with
low vision may be able to see and decipher 8 out of 10 images but there may
be a few that they need the alternative text or longdesc to understand and
use.  The HTML specification in fact indicates that alt shall NOT be
display when images are displayed as it acts a replacement for images.  So
it’s not surprising the longdesc would follow down this same path as alt.

I have no problem with programmatically associating long description or
long description links with an image but it MUST be available to all user
groups without having to install special plug-ins or run assistive
technology  to access or make user agents display information that others
can access without such requirements.

Jonathan