From: Sailesh Panchang [mailto:sailesh.panchang@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:37 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: On Focus Question

James,
SC 3.2.1 is triggered not on input / altering state of control but on focus.
So for instance, if a popup is launched even as you tab to a link ...
not activate the link, a non sighted user may not even realize
something has changed. Sometimes even a new window opens up when one
tabs to a link. This is violation of SC 3.2.1

Changing the selection in a drop down that triggers a change in page's
content as one tabs out or even when one is trying to navigate through
the options in the drop down is a case of SC 3.2.2
This is the case even when auto-tab is turned on  that causes the
focus to jump to the next field as soon as one enters text into an
edit field. ... this unexpected change of contex on inputt
Sailesh Panchang