On Focus Question

From: Homme, James <james.homme@highmark.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:21:29 +0000
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,
I'm looking at 3.2.1 On Focus
When any component receives focus, it does not initiate a change of context. (Level A)

Here's what I'm thinking. If I press an arrow key while focus is in a drop down, focus does go to another list item, and the page does change before I get to pick the item I want. In that situation, this is a violation. If instead, I get focus to the box and press Alt + Down Arrow, I can scroll through the box at will and pick my choice. Then, I can tab out of the box and that initiates a change on the page. My question is this. Is this only a violation because I may not know that I can use Alt + Down Arrow, or is it a violation for some other reason. I realize that in a normal Windows dialog box, plain arrow keys don't initiate a change.

Thanks.

Jim

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.