Re: Current suggestion for subheading isn't accessible

I do not see what the problem is really in those examples. Why do
subheadings or subtitles need to be wrapped inside any other tag?

There is nothing that prevents one from visually reinforcing the
relationship(via CSS)  that is already  provided by the h<n> tag or
the ":" or hyphen separator. That's fine.
Nothing is lost in terms of accessibility. These are good examples
where info relationships are conveyed via text as required by   SC
1.3.1. In fact the  presence of an h<n> tag close by provides context
and structure / relationship is programmatically determinable too.
Surely using another h<n> tag for the subtitle / subheading is not
correct ... that is use of heading for its styling properties.
Sailesh Panchang
www.deque.com