Re: Is it a good practice to put <article>s inside <li>s?

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu> wrote:

> Accessible markup should make the page simpler to understand the structure of a document not more complicated, putting <article> in lists seems more complicated to me and most people will not understand why you are doing this, including people with disabilities..

My reason to do that is actually very simple: These <article>s look
like a list of items, evidently.

If I could view them as not a list of items, I would be willing to.
Could you please provide a semantic reason to convince me that they
are not a list of items?

> I don't think that people using AT will expect long passages of text with headings and other semantic markup inside a list element, and not sure how assistive technologies will interpret this markup either.

Yes, you are right. And that's what I was worrying about. How do you
think adding role="presentation" on the <ol> or <ul> so AT's users
will not notice the list structure?

> I am not sure your CSS will be very understandable if you are having to remove list styling to make sure bullets are not appearing and margins and headers need adjusting.

The following two lines of CSS codes can do the job:

* { margin: 0; padding: 0 }
li { list-style: none }

> The <article> right now does not have any semantic meaning for assistive technology, so adding the role="region" and aria-labelledby will give users of assistive technology a way to find and orient to each article on your web page.

I see.

> Can you point me to a page where you are using article?
>
> There is a use case for the <article> element and role="article" in nested discussion forums, but it did not seem that that was your application.

My cases are teasers on the front page of a blog and user comments
below blog articles.

Kind Regards,
Ian Yang