Re: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice?

actually, not exactly.
I can use links and e-links which are java script friendly browsers, I
would not consider this as backward technology for that reason.  Also, the
scripting functions of many sites that insure their use of Java scripting
can be accessible may work even with currently updated editions of lynx
the cat, which should qualify this as a ahem modern browser too.
I think my preference would echo that of other people here...do both.
Make your site work  well with for those who may want it, and without for
those who may want it.  certainly though claiming that a currently
  updated browser is not
  modern if it can actually work with a Java script site and keep a text
focus serves no one.
Karen