Re: Removing PDFs and accessibility

Gian Wild wrote:
> Thought you might be interested in this article about how removing PDFs
> increased traffic by 1.6 million hits!
> http://briarbird.com/archives/564/

Unfortunately, the headline on this article could encourage people to
mechanically convert, which is likely to make things worse.

Incidentally, I have often sought out PDFs because they are not
fragmented into pages, and possibly more importantly, because they are
more likely to have been written by technical authors, rather than
advertising copy writers.  The latter means that any conversion to HTML
must be done by someone trained in semantic markup, not in someone
trained in marketing.

Trying to make the HTML look like the PDF, as a primary aim will not
achieve accessibility, nor will re-writing it in typical commercial web
page style.

--
David Woolley