Re: Using aria-labelledby instead of <label> element

Hi Ramon,

Gmail sent an awesome blank email, seems it's an
issue<http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/gmail/composing-and-sending-messages/VYpXeK5EkGE>;
and of course I didn't copy the message before sending. So, here it is
again in a much shorter form unfortunately.

I don't believe ARIA to be enough and I wouldn't rely on ARIA alone to save
the day. In true progressive enhancement the stack looks like this:
HTML-CSS-JavaScript-ARIA. Your solution seems to start with the end of the
stack - ARIA. There are browser / assistive technology (AT) combinations,
take IE7 & JAWS 9, where an ARIA-only solution fails miserably.

I was in your shoes recently so here's what I did:

   - if it's a data table it should marked-up with a <table> (semantics)
   - not ARIA-dependent but used it to enhance the experience

Now, unless I misunderstood something, your data is in one of 2 states: *
show* and *edit* - this is an important point and again I can relate to
this as I was in a similar situation (with financial data)!

   1. Start with marking-up the data as a <table> with proper <th> for
   columns and / or rows and use the *scope=* attribute. This will be
   sufficient for the *show* state as screen reader (SR) users can get
   around the static data with regular table-specific keystrokes. Also it's a
   minimal fallback (but fallback nonetheless) for the *edit* state.
   2. For the *edit *state use both <label> and *aria-labelledby= *with the
   same value (which you can construct dynamically). For browser / AT
   combinations that support ARIA *aria-labelledby=* will overwrite the
   <label> and for combinations that do not support ARIA you have the <label>
   fallback; plus the semantic table as another fallback

Hope this helps (and it's not an empty email). If you have any further
questions, please ask away.

Thank you,
George