RE: youtube accessibility

Apologies should have said

"The issue I have with the player is you still cannot gain focus of the element through the keyboard in some browsers (e.g firefox chrome)"

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin Thomas [mailto:Gavin.Thomas@uwe.ac.uk]
Sent: 01 March 2012 11:42
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: youtube accessibility

We adopted the vision austrialia skinned accessible youtube player for our site nearly 9 months ago

http://www.visionaustralia.org/info.aspx?page=2260

The Youtube player at the time had appalling keyboard and screenreader support. There has now come a time where we are being asked to update the youtube player to take advantage of the updates (mobile/ html5, cleaner interface, captioning). After reading a few blogs it appears youtube have updated the player and 'claim' to be better for screenreaders/keyboard.

http://terrillthompson.com/blog/44

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=189278

The issue I have with the player is you still cannot gain focus of the element through the keyboard (which you can with the vision australia version). The only way of tabbing (AFAIK) is to click into the flash component where elements are highlighted by yellow. (you then cannot tab out to other elements in the page)

So, has anyone got experience of implementing a youtube, or a skinned youtube player that is keyboard and screenreader accessibile?  I understand the JWplayer is keyboard accessible and provides html controls to elements for screenreaders.

Also is anyone aware of visually impaired users having problems using youtube? I know in our initial tests (9 months ago) blind students weren't able to navigate the default youtube player in our web pages hence implementing the vision austrialia one.