From: karlgroves@gmail.com [mailto:karlgroves@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Karl
Groves
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:10 AM
To: David Woolley
Cc: WAI Group; Meliha Yenilmez
Subject: Re: approval

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM, David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
wrote:

> To find out if it is actually accessible, you need to find people with
> lots of different disabilities and perform a usability survey on them,
> allowing them to use their own browsers and any assistive technology that
they use.

Do you do this?  Really?

With all due respect, this is exactly the type of attitude that perpetuates
the impression that accessibility is nebulous, expensive, and difficult.

It would be wonderful to be able to test with real users, but such a thing
is often not feasible due to time, budget, or resource constraints.
Considering the other types of testing available that can be used to gather
accessibility data, doing usability testing should be reserved for cases
where other test approaches (that are often quicker, cheaper, and easier
anyway) have already been utilized.

Karl