Van: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Verzonden: donderdag 9 februari 2012 3:33
Aan: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Onderwerp: RE: section 508 flaw?

Karen, the current Section 508 standards apply to all electronic and
information technology that is used, developed, maintained, or procured by
the US Federal government.  Thus, the use of E&IT that does not meet the
standards would be a technical violation.  However, the enforcement
mechanism is linked to "procurement" only and as your fiend points out
updates not always reevaluated for compliance.  I have worked with a
number of agencies that are very good about verifying updates and changes
and monitoring updates to websites -- but this seems to depend heavily on
how agencies implement Section 508.

The most recent advanced notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) states the
same scope of the standards as "E201.1 Scope.  ICT that is procured,
developed, maintained, or used by agencies shall conform to these
requirements."

There is still time to comment on the ANPRM -- this is a good opportunity
to voice your concern over updates or modified ICT no longer complying
with the standards.

Jonathan