Re: Who can say that a web page is accessible according to wcag?

Hello all. Once again, thanks for your replies.

I'd like to apologize for this big post.

I have some new questions, so a I'll need your help again.

*Shawn*: I used the evaluation tools and, of course, they can't cover
all success criteria. I think these tools are using the techniques
described by WAI, right? I'll need help from someone with visual
impairment who can test my application to say me how accessible it is,
preferably according to WCAG 2.0.
Without using these techniques as parameters, how can I say that my
application is accessible according to WCAG 2.0? I read the page
"Involving Users in Evaluating Web Accessibility" and I'm not sure how
to put it into practice.

*Mike*: To develop this application, was necessary to write a document
called "Use Case", that describes the steps a user must follow to
complete a task. It's possible to verify if the person can complete the
task according to this document. I think I can use this approach
combined with some tool (like a checklist) to check the application
accessibility level (or something near this).

*Fernandes*: I believe the content design is best covered by WCAG than
the semantic question, however it seems to me they have objective
criteria that allow some kind of evaluation conformance (although the
evaluation of the test results can be subjective).

*Devarshi*: As a said before, the evaluation of test results can be
subjective to the software designer. To test my application, I selected
a task (for exemple "User Login", as described at this address:
http://www.welie.com/patterns/showPattern.php?patternID=login) and
started the application. After the page is loaded, I picked a Level A
Sucess Criteria and its Sufficient Techniques
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/Overview.php). For each
technique, if it can be applied to the task and to the user interface
then I check it:

/Exemple:
Task: User Login
Success Criteria: Meaningful Sequence
Sufficente Technique: G57: Ordering the content in a meaningful sequence
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20101014/G57)
Test Procedure (described by the technique):
     1. Linearize content using a standard approach for the technology
(e.g., removing layout styles or running a linearization tool)
     2. Check to see if the order of content yields the same meaning as
the original
Expected Results
     - Check #2 is true.
Remarks: its a Login page, so it needs the Username and the Password
fields, and a Confirm button, in this order. Other elements can be present.
Results: the styles were removed and the order of content yields the
same meaning as the original./

This procedure is time consuming and is not ease, especially for a
visual impaired person, but I still think it is valid procedure to check
if the sucess criteria can be met.

*Rohra*: To be precise, I'm developing a "software component framewok",
not an application. I intend to produce a framework wich contains
accessible components to be used in a e-commerce application. My master
thesis is based on the proccess to develop these components. I assume as
premise that is possible to produce accessible components from "software
interaction patterns" and "accessibility guidelines".

At this time I have a issue: the software designer can check the
accessibility WCAG criteria and automated tools can be used to aid this
proccess. But, from the user's perspective, are these components accessible?

I think a checklist could be used during an accessibility test with a
person with visual impairment. Actually, last week I found a brazilian
government document that uses a checklist to evaluate e-gov sites. This
checklist was developed by brazilian researchers and is based on the the
regional accessibility model.

Some exemples of these checklist items:
/- All images related to content are described by means of "alt"
attribute? (Yes, No, Partially, Not Applicable). User remarks.
- Image buttons are described by means of "alt" attribute? (Yes, No,
Partially, Not Applicable). User remarks.
- Does the interface has a Sitemap? (Yes, No, Partially, Not
Applicable). User remarks.
- When using forms the read order with screen reader is the same that
appears on the screen? (Yes, No, Partially, Not Applicable). User remarks.
... and so on.../

Maybe it's possible to adapt this checklist to be used by a PWD.

*Finally, *could someone here help me to test my software application?

Thank you very much and happy new year!

Marcelo Alberto Piazza